Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tentative Steps to Eating "Normally"

I found exactly two 1-cup size storage containers in our big box-o-storage-bins in the kitchen this morning. I packed for breakfast:
one scrambled egg.
two thin strips of ham steak
one small slice of cheese from a HelluvaGood (is that the brand?) cheddar block.

I figure my meal is not to exceed one cup, no matter what, and these fit into the container without any problem. I also figure since these are solids these aren't actually filling the volume of the container...that one-cup storage size holding all those items would actually probably fill 1/2 cup if I pureed everything.

Maybe I'm being optimistic...I'm trying to be realistic (believe me, it still HURTS when I sneeze or cough, I can't imagine how much excruciating pain vomiting would cause so I'm trying VERY hard to avoid it!). This, I think, fits the guidelines for size of a meal. I also was aiming to fill some of the requirements of the meal as outlined at the nutrition class...calcium is a must (cheese!), protein is a must (ham...well, all of it...I even used a real egg instead of just egg white for my first meal to see how I'd handle it, plus some added nutrition from the yolk...).

I ate it very slowly. That less-than-a-cup of mass took me about an hour to eat. No vomiting! No pain! Yay!

I had a feeling after last night's dinner in my gut that came back after breakfast. I'm not sure it's fullness, per se, although it could be that and I'm just unaccustomed to it. It's not pain. It's not nausea. It's not hunger. It's hard to put my finger on...but for now I'll write it off as borderline satiety.

All I do know...that was good. If you ever want to appreciate food try eating Jell-O for half a month then try having a good tender piece of ham with a hint of cheese, maybe a small spread of dijon mustard on it...good stuff.

I'm still sore and can't take painkillers right now. I have aches. My gut has stiff pains at times, I think from scar tissue or healing. I get frequently lightheaded and dizzy, perhaps from low blood pressure. I have trouble remembering all the medications I have to take. I have trouble keeping straight what proteins I need to get, the minerals, the timing of how to take things. I get emotional and cranky. I still get freaked out by the weird hole in my stomach (it is slowly getting better, so far don't think it's infected) which oozes blood and I have to change it's stinky dressing twice a day. Waves of fatigue make it hard to focus and get through the day.

But that ham and cheese and egg...boy oh boy that was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment