Monday, May 4, 2009

And Another Milestone is Passed

I had my four-week nutrition meeting.

It was a little haphazard...there were tidbits here and there that seemed contradictory at times; for example, I am supposed to now go from pureed foods to "soft, moist foods". In the sample breakfast, 1/2 a piece of toast.

Unless drenched in butter I don't think I'd count toast as a "soft, moist" food.

After several notes on needing calcium supplements and watching protein, then doing some very vague notes on foods...I asked, "Basically, you're saying we can try whatever we want, as long as the meal is less than a cup or is about the size of my palm, and the stomach tolerates the food?"

"Pretty much."

So I guess I can eat what I want as long as I have three or four meals a day and keep the portion of the entire meal to a very small amount and I'm very very careful about signs that I'm about to yark or fill my shorts. And the foods must be "soft" foods.

So after this meeting my wife drove to Panera for dinner. I ordered a pick-two of French Onion soup and a Cafe Ham and Swiss sandwich on rye with dijon mustard. I ate a little bit of the bread...the mustard was to DIE for!...and the meat and cheese on the half-sandwich happened to be about the size of my palm ("a portion of meat you should be aiming to eat is the size of a deck of cards...", she said)...it took longer than usual to eat, but I ate the ham and cheese with no obvious discomfort. And again...the mustard was fantastic.

The flavor of the ham with that slice of deli swiss was utterly delicious. I probably could have eaten more of the bread, but I wasn't really hungry (wasn't really full either, at least not in a way that I was accustomed to feeling full). My wife picked up a take-out container for the soup and that was that. My dinner was a good sized portion of ham and cheese with delectable dijon mustard and just a touch of rye bread.

I'm confident that in due time an entire meal will be something like a sandwich or half a sandwich. It's fantastic to think that this will be enough for an entire meal, not a sandwich with XYZ together!

The gist of the meeting with the nutritionist is that my "dieting" lifestyle will be entirely focused on portion control. I don't avoid fats. I don't avoid carbs or whatever other fad diet is the current "thing". The only thing I avoid is sugar and I have to focus a little more on nutrition...eat proteins because I need it for muscles and body composition, for example, while breads will make me feel too full to get the nutritional part of my mealtimes. I need to limit my portions and not graze or snack.

The weight loss surgery is supposed to offer feedback; I am supposed to feel uncomfortably full if I eat too large a portion, or end up with the runs and chills and palpitations if I have sugars. I didn't get the uncomfortable feeling while eating tonight. But I don't feel hungry, and that was the other effect the surgery was supposed to have; my hunger should be head hunger and my physical hunger shouldn't really be a factor right now.

There are flavors and textures and experiences that I am looking forward to trying. I don't think there's anything wrong with anticipating this. I am going to be mindful to keep my portion sizes small because if the whole negative feedback thing isn't working in my particular case, I need to keep an eye on what I'm doing.

My stomach has always been made of steel. Maybe to some degree it still is. Maybe it is still hyper-tolerant of foods and such...I may be one of the rare ones that have to be pushed to have dumping syndrome or vomit from the introduction of foods. But I'm not exactly going to try pushing the issue.

So tonight was a good night! Now I just have to see how much of the waters I can navigate without hitting an iceberg...

Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Tip for you on feeling full:
    The feeling for me and a bunch of other "post" bariatric people is kind of like I have to burp, but can't quite do it. That's what feeling full feels like now.
    If you do burp, it will be ok.
    The other things you are talking about is called "dumping". It is a theory for you now, but believe me, it is no fun at all.
    A side effect of not eating enough protein or getting proper nutrician is the wasting away of your muscles as well as your fat. That is a dangerous thing because you can't get it back. You will be skinny and look like hell, and won't be able to regain your energy. So, beware!
    Glad to hear you made the transition to real foods, even if it is soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't regain the muscle tissue?

    Maybe I'll need to talk to the doctor about that...right now I'm having cheese and some kind of meat comprising at least half, if not more, of each meal...

    Don't feel any burping sensations. I'll have to sit and see if I can describe the sensation a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Congratulations! I'm nearly six months out, and I'm convinced that it's the best thing I ever did for my body. I definitely have the burping sensations. My doctor has prescribed an antacid that seems as if it will be a permanent fixture. As far as nutrition goes, you really need to supplement your diet with vitamins. My surgeons recommended Flintstones vitamins, but they made me sick. I found some bariatric vitamins. I take 3 a day spaced out along with my iron and calcium and the Vitamin D my primary physician has recently recommended. I'm losing really well and don't seem to be losing muscle mass. One of the things I missed was vegetables especially salad. Once you can eat that, you'll be feeling even better. I had to have a hyserectomy a few weeks ago which put me back in the "tired" department, but now I'm feeling better. I'm going back to swimming which really is a good exercise. I'm planning on yet another surgery: a double knee replacement. After that it's watch out world. In five months I've lost 79lbs and feel great. Eat right and you will too! Visit me at my blog:
    http://bariatricnewlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Larraine and welcome!

    I've been taking a chewable multivitamin twice a day, a calcium supplement, and a vitamin D supplement. Sounds like you're doing well with the weight loss...I have to figure out what my current stats (need to tweak my spreadsheet a bit to make it simpler).

    So far my rule of thumb has been to keep my meals at less than a cup. The only thing I'm not measuring out in a cup-sized container is my dinners lately; I put them into a little flatbread from Wegman's that are probably about 4 inches in diameter and in them I put a chunk from a ham steak with some cheese, or tonight I put some peanut butter and a slice of swiss in it. I try to make sure that whatever I have if I were to put it in the blender it would puree to less than a cup of food.

    ReplyDelete