Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Stupid Body

Every workday I get up and shuffle out to the living room and take my medications.

I pack up two 1-cup size ziplock containers, one for breakfast, one for lunch. I try to put a calcium and protein source into each; often this includes cheese and ham or some chicken. But these fit into 1-cup containers. If the foods were pureed they would end up taking up less than a cup.

At night I have approximately a cup or less of food. Sometimes a mini-sandwich, or some kind of a soup. Leftovers. Again, meat and cheese often fill the meal. With birthdays and such coming up we've been eating out and I've had a small portion of the food before packing the rest into a box to take home. Recently my wife and I were at Olive Garden for lunch and we had an entrée split between us, and we each ended up eating half of our meals and taking the rest home, so we had about a quarter of a lunch entrée as meals.

I drink water, I drink water with Kellogg's black-tea flavored protein powder mixed in, some milk during the day, no soda, no alcohol, no juices.

And yet for the past several days I gained a pound and a half and at this point have lost a pound of it. I have been taking my weight once every other day and since maybe the 7th or so I gained a pound and a half and slowly lost a pound of it. Maybe if I repeat it enough it'll make sense.

I'm eating a cup of food three times a day, no snacks, and I've gained weight. Huh?

How does that work?

How can I possibly have enough calories in me to sustain a 340-something pound body weight?

Is there food just slowly percolating through the intestines, thus adding weight?

Is there sodium causing me to retain fluids?

Is there some really screwing form of plateau going on, or the body adjusting to foods, solid foods, in the diet?

Am I really that screwed up?

I'm hoping this is something kind of "normal" in adjustment. I need to find a support group at my next doctor's appointment which happens to be coming up in two days. Am I supposed to just "stay the course" and hope the body finishes adjusting and continues losing weight? I can't see how, possibly, I can maintain my current body weight with my food intake.

If anyone else out there has had the surgery and knows what I'm talking about or has had this happen to them, please let me know. I'm a little over a month from surgery; a month and a week, almost, so why would I be plateauing now??

2 comments:

  1. Been there, done that.
    Hang in there and get back to basics. Cheese has lots of fat, as does Ham.
    Talk to your coach about calcium supplements, and just worry about protein, protein, and more protein.
    Also, as you exercise, your body builds muscle, and that is heavier than the fat.
    A few other points:
    * Don't weigh yourself. It's a waste of time.
    *If you just drank water or other liquid, you gained weight until you urinate. I think 8 ounces of water is about a pound.
    *Walk, walk, walk. You will get better. You will lose weight. You will be amazed. The warm weather is here. So, get outside.
    Nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ham ham is 5 grams of fat for 3 oz, so not horrible (that was the ham steak). The sliced ham is deli-thin and when I have that there's nowhere near that much.

    The cheese is normally 2% cheese so it's reduced fat content. The milk is skim :-) And the cottage cheese is lowfat too.

    The nutritionist, when I last talked to her, said that the fat isn't a bad thing per se; it's how much we take in. Portion control, basically.

    Plus the supplements don't fully help if you don't have any fat for the fat-soluble elements. Contrary to the dieting fad information, we need fat...just that in our culture we have too much of it :-)

    I think 16 ounces are in one pound...but yeah, water levels contribute quite a bit to weight variation. I try to take my weight first thing in the morning before drinking anything after I've had a chance to expunge some water from overnight.

    ReplyDelete