Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Doctors and Email

The nutritionist I had been seeing just before my surgery left abruptly.

I don't know the details, I just sort of heard about it when I was recovering in the hospital. Apparently she and her husband had an opportunity to move back south, something they always wanted to do, so they took it.

I met the new nutritionist last Monday. She seemed nice, maybe a little frazzled; we had been told before that she's hard at work filling the void left when the previous nutritionist vacated the position. They had a lot of backlog with new patients as well as taking care of the post-ops. So a little frazzled can be forgiven.

The thing that I was impressed with was that she gave us her email address!

I rarely encounter that. I don't know if doctors...medical staff in general...are technophobes or just think that such information would be abused (which wouldn't surprise me). I very much appreciated it, though.

Two days later my daughter tells me there was a call from "a " with a number local to a city an hour away. It was late when I got home, so I didn't return the call...the next day I emailed her to see if it was her. She replied, I gave more information and she replied right back. Two quick emails. Quick and convenient!

I don't want to abuse the access to mail but I did let her know that I really appreciated being able to get quick access for a minor question without having to interrupt her (or myself) with a phone call.

I remember having one medical staff member tell me that they don't do that sort of thing because it wouldn't be billable. My thought is that if you can answer the question in two minutes with an email, it would be a far better use of your time than having to inconvenience the patient by scheduling an appointment for a quick question or having to waste the medical professional's time with the paperwork and hullabaloo of an in-person assessment for a five-minute problem.

How about you? Have you any experiences with doctors giving out their email addresses for questions, or have you found my experiences to be the norm?

2 comments:

  1. I have access to all of the team email addresses. I help them, and they help me.
    They bill the insurance company for the appointments, and the email time is just a way to streamline things and save time for them. They answer very quickly.
    You are lucky that you have that too. Following up is probably the most important part of this surgery's success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have the address for the nutritionist right now. No other doctors in my routine visitations have given out an address to use to contact them...I don't know if they're technophobic or just don't see using the computer as an instrument for keeping in touch with patients.

    ReplyDelete