Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Panera Smokehouse Turkey Sandwich

My family had to get some last-minute items for my son's upcoming birthday party. While we were out we stopped at my wife's favorite dinner/lunch spot, Panera Bread.

Knowing that I can't eat too much anyway, I told her to get a Pick-Two soup and sandwich and just surprise me, since she usually remembers what I like better than I remember.

I was sitting with my son at a table outside and enjoying the warm early evening weather, listening to large gulls squawk and beg from other customers, when she came out with a small bowl of French Onion soup and a 1/2 Smokehouse Turkey sandwich.

Okay, here's the warning part...I picked off most of the crust, as that was kind of hard from the toasting, and I picked out a piece of bacon after I had pulled a couple pieces of gristle out from a slice I bit into. I focused on getting most of the meat eaten; the bread was relatively soft in the center and the cheese, a decent protein source, was pretty good.

But then it happened again...pain. Not as bad as the episode I had previously, but it was enough that I felt it. The pain probably wavered for about ten minutes and disappeared.

Was it something added to the bread or cheese, like an oil or butter of some kind? Was it just that the bread was overtoasted, too hard for my stomach to like? I don't know...what I do know is that next time, we're ordering it un-toasted.

I asked my wife about how much she thought I ate and she estimated it was around four ounces, which was close to what I thought it was as well after I had picked out bits of the bread and some of the meat. So I didn't consume over my limit...it was definitely something with the sandwich.

That's your word of warning for the day. It's not necessarily the quantity of something that'll cause pain. Sometimes it's the nature of the food!

1 comment:

  1. Right on target. Your pouch is still getting used to different foods, even if you had them before.
    Stay away from them for now, but go back to them in about 3 months and you should be ok.
    Many foods are loaded with fat or sugar, and both of them cause us problems.

    ReplyDelete