Sunday, July 5, 2009

Workout for July 5th

I went back to the gym today. The gym I belong to is only open a few hours on Sundays...noon to three. Probably a reflection of the dedication to exercise in the area...or they don't have a lot of members around on Sundays. Doesn't matter. I went down around 12:30ish and got home around 2:00.

I've been slowly reading the Weight Training for Dummies book; one of the things it pointed out that I didn't know before was the relationship of reps and sets to strength training. From what I understand so far, the goal is to work the muscle to failure, meaning to the point where you can't do another set in proper form. Then you rest that muscle group for a bit.

Anyway, I tried pushing a little more to find some limits. For some exercises, I think I found some failure points. As I type this a few hours after the fact I'm still feeling pretty good, so I am hoping that I'm still moving around tomorrow.

compound row: 15 reps at 110 lbs
lat pulldown: 10 reps at 125 pounds
pec fly: 15 reps at 110 pounds
vertical chest: 10 reps at 95 pounds
lateral raise: 15 reps at 80 pounds
overhead press: 5 reps at 80 pounds, then 5 reps at 65 pounds (ouch!)
bicep curl: 9 reps at 65 pounds
tricep extension: 11 reps at 65 pounds
lower back: 15 reps at 155 pounds
abdominal: 20 reps at 95 pounds
leg press: 15 reps at 300 pounds
leg extension: 15 reps at 95 pounds
seated leg curl: 15 reps at 115 pounds
abd/adduction: 15 reps each at 70 pounds

As you can tell, some of the funny numbers came from reaching a point where I wasn't going to move much more, so I cut it short. All these numbers were significantly higher than last time when I was tentatively trying things.

Some I really need to adjust higher, like the abd/adduction. Others I guess I just need to keep repeating until they become easier.

Because of the need to rest muscles (the book discusses that) I will probably not be going back to play with the weight machines until Tuesday. Whee!

No comments:

Post a Comment