Sunday, July 5, 2009

Why Do I Blog? And How Offensive Do I Get?

I don't know if I ever actually said why I'm blogging.

I had toyed with the idea of keeping a blog for awhile, but what really pushed me into doing it was the surgery. At the time I had to absorb a lot of information and sort through a lot of thoughts and issues pertaining to bariatric surgery.

So I suppose the push to actually do it was the surgery. I wanted to keep an account of what happened in case other people might search for anecdotal evidence of what it was like for me.

I decided early on not to keep it just about bariatric surgery, though. I knew that I'd run out of information. It would get repetitive very early on, I thought, and besides that, the information I passed on would have a bias from my life. My life is affected by other things; my technology obsessions, my Asperger's, even facing the possibility of my death in the surgery brought into question my religous views. As a result I decided to open the blog to being bariatric surgery with commentary from my point of view of my life.

I didn't want to define my life by the surgery. But at the same time I cannot escape that I have largely defined my life by my weight, my obesity; after more than a few decades the obesity had come to define too much of who I was and shape much of what I had become. Hence my blog name and strong obesity/diet/WLS bias.

But at the same time I do put items in that are somewhat controversial. I'm not out to poke sticks into wasp nests; I don't aim the offensive guns just to generate controversy or offend people.

Besides, if I wanted to do that, I could. It would be way to simple. But pointless

I figure my audience is far too small for my posts to cause ripples. But I do on occasion post things that some would find offensive.

It's nothing personal.

Posts regarding religion are showing my viewpoint of the world; it's part of what shapes my worldview. It's supposed to help illustrate part of why I believe what I do, why I understand the world the way I understand it.

I haven't had any complaints, so if anyone has read something they took offense to he or she hasn't voiced it.

But I thought I'd put this in just to clarify things a little. I wanted to do a blog for awhile. But I actually did it because of the surgery, and since then I've used it to act as a sounding board for who I am. It's a way to send my little voice into the big wide ether; I don't pretend that others will pay attention or even that it would make a difference to others, but there's always the chance that this can help create a legacy in part for my children to have after I'm gone, or get some insight into who I was long ago.

My father is still alive, but I have almost zilch knowledge of what he was like growing up. He's simply not an open person. I don't think he's ever even going to read this blog...I know only bits and pieces of his childhood history. I'm hoping that this is a record for my kids to go back to and find out more about where I came from, my beliefs, my worldview, and to a degree the problems I encountered in this period of my life.

I suppose this blog, potentially offensive bits and all, are just a way of staking a little corner for my voice among a chorus of millions out there. It's not much. But it's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment