Friday, July 24, 2009

Weight Loss Progress for July 24th

Time for another update, I suppose. I weighed in this morning and I'm now at 300.5 pounds.

I've lost:
157.5 pounds since January.
75.5 pounds since the RnY surgery in April.
62.5 pounds since my friend challenged me to lose 60 pounds before he lost 30.

As I've said before I don't think he's tracking his challenge anymore; I'm not pressing it with him. If he checks in periodically he can do what he wants with it, but to tell the truth I don't know if he does read the blog.

Moving on, I am told that losing that much weight is really good. At the same time weight loss is so individual that no one can tell me how good or average this weight loss is. So I'm not sure where that leaves me.

I also have a lot of excess skin. I wish it could be removed, but even if the insurance company covers it:
  1. I don't have the $1,000 copay right now
  2. I may need to have medical evidence that it's not for "cosmetic" reasons; my wife insists that the skin removal is part of the surgical coverage for our insurance, but I refuse to underestimate the maliciousness and utter confusion that an insurance company can unleash.
  3. I am told they won't even consider such surgery until at least a year has passed.
I sometimes wonder how much extra weight that skin constitutes. I constantly think about how ugly it looks, though.

So that's my quick and dirty update for my weight loss status for today.

2 comments:

  1. You should wait until you reach your goal or close to it since you will have more skin to deal with then.
    The whole thing is not for cosmetics, but for health. That's tough to say when looking in the mirror. I know, believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you could convince the *insurance company* about cosmetic vs. health...as far as they are concerned excess sagging bassett-hound skin isn't an issue unless you end up in the ER for trying to remove it yourself with a kitchen knife.

    ReplyDelete