Thursday, July 9, 2009

Gym Day For July 9th

Another fun day at the gym. I'm trying to get used to working with the machines. One of the managers at the gym asked how I was doing; I showed him my chart, and he said it looked good. He said I'd want to stick with the machines for another few weeks before "switching it up a bit". Something about confusing the muscles to help with the workout. I didn't know my muscles were so cerebral as to get bored with a workout.

I started out with a 3/4 mile on the treadmill in 14 minutes (my time has been going down gradually each visit...).

Then I did (reps @ pounds):
compound row: 15 @ 125
lat pulldown: 15 @ 125
pec fly: 15 @ 110
vertical chest: 15 @ 65
lateral raise: 15 @ 80
overhead press: 15 @ 50
bicep curl: 15 @ 50
tricep extension: 13 @ 65
lower back: 15 @ 120
abdominal: 15 @ 100
leg press: 15 @ 300
leg extension: 15 @ 95
seated leg curl: 15 @ 115
abd/adduction: 15 @ 120

I then walked half a mile in ten minutes to "cool down" on the treadmill.

I'm not sure how effective this workout thing is. I have only gone four times so far, so I guess it would be expecting too much to actually see any results from going, but afterwards I don't feel quite as drenched in sweat as I'd have expected to be after an hour at the gym playing with that weight. I actually sweat the most from the treadmill walks; I set it usually to 2 or 2.5 percent grade and I think I'm going near 3 mph or a little more.

I also used my iPod armband for the first time. Made things a lot easier; I didn't have to search for an old shirt with a pocket in order to listen to my iPod (plus it tends to fly around a lot when it's in a chest pocket and I'm on the treadmill). It's a simple armband with elastic and velcro, but it worked really well, as long as I was mindful of where it was on my arm when using certain machines.

Other than that, things went fairly well. I think. Maybe I'll know more tomorrow at my weigh-in...

No comments:

Post a Comment