Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Vacation Dining

My wife and I recently celebrated our fifth anniversary. To celebrate we made arrangements to go to a rather large city several hours away for a night.

I noticed that there were several restaurants right near our hotel, some of which I was familiar with (chain restaurants we have within an hour of our home) and others that we hadn't heard of before.

We were in the area for just one night= and we only visited one restaurant at which we made reservations (a haunted castle built in 1860!). The other restaurants that were near our hotel (and even the ones in the hotel) we skipped over. I had prepared most of my meals ahead of time to make sure I had the "proper" foods and didn't have to worry about my intake amounts.

We drove by the other places and I watched them float by in the window; I wistfully thought about vacations past where one of my highlights of the trip was in sampling cuisine of the area. Now,...not so much.

I'm curious about them, but I no longer can make restaurant exploring a highlight of our trips. I don't have enough space for the leftovers if we went to all the places I'd have wanted to visit. Even at the restaurant I did go to I ended up eating just enough to experience discomfort (chicken sometimes triggers that in me...something with chicken breast seems to cause that).

So now when I go on trips or vacations I need to reframe my focus on enjoying attractions or events more than enjoying restaurant experiences. On one hand I think it's a positive step in developing a new attitude towards food. On the other hand, it's kind of melancholy or bittersweet in that this is a passing of a chapter in my life. It is also hard to adjust to the idea of not anticipating trying some new Italian pasta dish or some grilled chicken at a new restaurant when I pass by a new place near whatever hotel we'd be staying in.

But adjust I must....and off I go instead to a museum or mall for a few hours.

3 comments:

  1. I noticed too the change in my eating habits affecting my vacation plans. Food was such a big part of it, and now, It's not.
    As for the chicken, don't worry about it. I had the same problem and now I can eat it again. I know that the explanation was strange, but I'm just happy to be able to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken things comes and goes. I don't know if it's a particular preparation or just the mood of the day.

    The vacation and eating thing...in a way I'm sad that it happens, since I miss the old habit of just going out and indulging. But I have little choice but to reframe the vacation mentality, find other things to enjoy. I used to love finding novel eating locales and restaurants with some neat "hook" or atmosphere. Now it's more difficult and I need to plan for leftovers if I do that (and plan to carry leftovers if it's in the middle of touring someplace). I usually have my shoulder cooler with me or take something pre-made now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try something that is really very very hard. In fact, it is so tough, it took me numerous times to do it.
    Order a full meal of your favorite foods (the ones you are allowed to eat).
    Then eat until you are full, following the guidelines of protein first, followed by carb and fruits.
    Put the fork or spoon down when you are full.
    When they ask you if you want a doggie bag (or whatever they call it today), say "no".
    I gotta tell you, it's very tough to walk away from a plate of food. But, it helps you to understand just what you are doing and why it is important.
    I can almost bet that your wife will ask for the container of your food and she will take it with her.
    Try it.

    ReplyDelete