Thursday, July 9, 2009

Nutritional Book Reviews and Blogging?

What follows is really an anecdote that led me to a bit of wishful thinking...

I was at Barnes and Noble not long ago...big surprise...and my wife found a book on the shelves that she thought I might be interested in called Skinny Bastard by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. They authored the popular book series starting with Skinny Bitch.

I started skimming sections of the book and found that it was laced with very risqué language; it was very "tell it like it is" colloquial and conversational for certain circles. It made it easier to read because it was so conversational.

The book promises to help you lose weight through eating well and in the process becoming healthier. I skimmed through some of the chapters, like "Carbs: The Truth", "Sugar is for Candy-Asses", and "Meat: Rotting, Decaying, Decomposing Flesh." You can see where it's going.

But it didn't take long for the book to show a common theme: meat bad, vegetarian good.

The tone wasn't one of reason or science, it sounded like a propaganda pamphlet against anything that wasn't Vegan. Something started tickling the back of my brain.

I looked at the authors. The back of the book stated that Rory Freedman is a "self-taught know-it-all with an epic ass" and that Kim Barnouin is "a former model who holds a Masters of Science degree in Holistic Nutrition". "Holistic Nutrition?" Whenever I have found people referring to themselves with a title including "holistic" it sets off alarm bells for me. I looked up Nutritionist in Wikipedia and found this:
*******
In some jurisdictions such as the UK and some US states the term "nutritionist" is not a legally protected term. As a result, some nutritionists who appear in the media in these jurisdictions may give advice on diet that is of questionable informational value.
*******
Double uh-oh.

My wife did a quick lookup on Amazon for reviews of the book and the results were dismal. That tickle in the back of my brain turned out to be pretty spot-on. The book is basically a preaching to the choir for the vegan lifestyle.

Which, don't get me wrong, is fine for people who want to be vegans. But when I'm looking for advice on nutrition and diet, I'm looking for advice and information, not indoctrination to a lifestyle and propaganda to use as ammunition against people who like cheese (the book even mentions various chemicals that make their way into milk and cheese because they're naturally produced by the cow...more reason to avoid diary and meat!!)

That made me wish I knew of people who read books for their field and post reviews. At that time in particular I was wondering if there were bariatric surgeons or nutritionists who read books about diets and health who posted reviews of such books, who would know when the "science" offered in these books is the truth or a load of bunk (the reviews for Skinny Bitch on amazon were somewhat scathing at times from reviewers saying they were biologists and chemists, saying the science parts of the book were downright wrong).

Anyone know of such blogs or review sites? There might be a market for such a thing if it doesn't exist yet. Otherwise I'll just have to stick to aggregated reviews from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment