Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Slider Foods

Lee had mentioned slider foods recently. I don't have the reference handy or I'd link here, but I remember him mentioning that it was a new concept to him.

I haven't really thought about it, but I knew about them. Slider foods hold a special place for bariatric patients. Basically they're foods that go through the pouch pretty quickly and with little digestive effort; they go down and through easily, with very little side effects for us. Well, for the most part.

Example slider foods: pudding, yogurt, cottage cheese...you get the idea.

I've been having a half-slider food. I love having broccoli with peanut butter. It's an odd combination (but don't knock it until you try it!). Peanut butter is healthy in many ways, but probably is a slider food because of its consistency and texture.

Unfortunately, it's yummy, and high in calories. As are most slider foods. That's why they're special for bariatric patients...it's a way to cheat the diet. These foods slide through the pouch without necessarily making the post-op feeling full.

If you're lucky, you still get the negative reinforcement of a dumping effect depending on the food. If you're foolish enough to have pudding that's not sugar-free or eating sugared ice cream...there better be a clear path to the restroom. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

I've had to watch my peanut butter obsession. Lately I've been plateaued...is it biological? Metabolic adjustment? The peanut butter obsession? I don't know, but I do know that if I start sliding the wrong way on the scale for over a week then I need to make drastic changes. As it stands I'm trying to slowly adjust my PB&Broccoli obsession to reduce caloric intake more.

So that's the skinny on slider foods. Apparently there are bariatric patients that either don't know about them or forget. They're quick calories that don't tend to stretch the stomach and usually taste sooooo good! A little is usually okay. After all...for weight loss, calories are king. So keep an eye on calories and you should be fine. Unless it has sugar. Ew.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Barry!
    Peanut butter, if you read the label, consists of peanuts, and some type of fat, along with sugar.
    The "natural" peanut butter has nothing but peanuts in them. It is an aqquired taste, and I didn't aqquire that one.
    I do like peanut butter like Jif, etc., but now stay away from it.
    Look at soft cheese as an addition to your broccoli, or a fat free dip. Check with your dietician.
    My snacks with slider food, always start with protein. I add powder to my yogurt, but I have my pudding as dessert after I finish my main meal.
    I found it helps to have slider food with Chicken because it tends to get stuck. The slider food acts like a lubricant to loosen the chicken and send it on it's way. But, I have to watch the calories.
    Slider food doesn't have to be all bad, but I wouldn't have any soup unless I wanted to torture myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lee: There's some sugar in PB, to be sure, but it's not enough to trigger anything in me that I've noticed. The fat is the "good" kind of fat that is healthy for you. The "bad" part of peanut butter is the partially hydrogenated oils...the process removed the majority of the bad stuff but it's not perfect. That's the bad reputation it has.

    The natural peanut butter like you said is peanuts, some oil, and often a little salt. Problem? Expensive. I can get large quantities of peanut butter from Sam's Club far cheaper than the equivalent amount of natural stuff.

    ReplyDelete