Saturday, November 28, 2009

Plateaus Suck

For the past...oh, two weeks or so...I've been plateaued. I'd have to look at the numbers as they're listed, but for the most part I'm between 260 and 270 (I think I've actually been hovering around an average of 264/265 pounds), so I've lost somewhere in the range of 190 pounds.

I hate it.

Plateauing sucks. It means that I'm doing something wrong. I know that the formula is simple...calories in, calories out...so my broccoli and peanut butter habit is probably what is tipping this. The doctor (bariatric surgeon) said that this would happen (unless I've finished losing the weight, reaching my stabilization point); the body would lose weight, stop for anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks, then start falling again until it hits another plateau.

So I've either leveled out or I'm plateauing and the only way to tell is...you can probably guess...wait. A weight waiting game. It's such a fun game to play, too. It's almost as much fun as being on of the last two people playing RISK and you're the guy with one country against the jerk that possesses all the other territories and just got his 200 armies to add to what is surrounding your one lousy territory. And it's his turn. And he decided to quit attacking after one roll because he's having just too much fun being a jerk.

But I digress. I don't understand the mechanisms behind weight plateaus. The venerable Wikipedia talks about this principle in vague terms of being regarded as a sign of weight loss success, and the only way to break it is to increase exercises and/or decrease portion sizes further. Ugh.

Fortunately budgeting issues gives some reason to further cut back on portions anyway. I can probably tweak my "food pellet" formula to include fewer things so that I don't need to purchase some of my habitual staples anymore, thus help curb our spending at the SamClubMart. You know...broccoli can be cut out, peanut butter, those alone should save twenty or thirty bucks a trip. Maybe cut out the peanuts, that's another ten bucks. Don't use tomato sauce to flavor the wraps anymore. That's another what...ten bucks or so? Maybe cut out some of the cheese and meat to make supplies last longer. Those things should help reduce the bill a little while reducing caloric intake.

The problem is that it takes what comfort I've become accustomed to in my routine and throws it into a bit of a tizz. I'll adapt, no doubt. I won't like it. Hopefully I'll find some other reason to enjoy something beyond my current schedule of trudging to my stressed out job during the day and coming home to look forward to the next day's rigorous schedule of...more work. What escape I had in my meals, small as they were, far smaller than pre-surgery, will just be a little...less. Again.

Cest la vie.

With any luck within the next couple weeks I'll break this plateau. When I do, it'll be more progress to report. Or I'll at least have broken out of this funky feeling...maybe it's just the joy of the holiday season getting under my skin.

1 comment:

  1. Start your diet over. Don't fall prey to the eating less thingy.
    Take in your protein first, and eat more of it, and less of the carbs.
    Don't snack on carbs only. Always eat protein before you eat the carbs.
    Don't forget your body is probably storing it's food for the winter right now, so it will be tough to lose weight.
    Get with your dietitian for a refresher, and as hard as it may seem, go back to the basics.
    You need the fiber, so cutting out your broccoli is probably not a good thing.
    Get out and walk. The steady rhythm helps to free up the mind and isn't too bad for the body. Just don't make sounds like a deer. It's the season!

    ReplyDelete