Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Progress Update for November 4th, 2009

After another plateau period I am down a pound today from my November 2nd weight level. Quick stats...
Weight: 263.5
Weight loss since surgery (4/7/09): 112.5
Weight loss total (1/1/09): 194.5

Most lost since January: 195.5

So I'm a pound away from my lowest weight (so far?)

My bariatric doctor said there's no way I'd hit the "healthy weight" in the sub-200 pound range in his experiences. Bariatric surgery patients just don't get into the "normal" range. They lose (for Roux-en-Y) typically lose somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 percent of the excess weight.

I don't know what exactly is going to happen, but I looked at the weight chart for the past 12 months on Fitday where I've been tracking my weight to find possible trends...





You can see how the chart starts off strong with a large drop, then bucks a little near April (when I had the surgery), then starts falling again. But the slope of the line is dropping, meaning that the rate at which I'm losing weight is slowing down.

The doctor had reiterated that what typically happens is a big loss then a gradual loss of weight as the body readjusts to the new calorie intake. What usually happens is the heavy nosedive turns into a series of "steps" (known to we fat people and chronic dieters as plateaus) where, as he said, the body will level off or gain a slight amount of weight for about a week or two then suddenly drop down anywhere from a pound to five pounds and level off again.

I wanted to believe that it wouldn't happen to me. The difference between kids (and teenagers) and cynical adults is that I understand that wanting to believe isn't the same as reality, so could it be that my irritating, frustrating, and demoralizing "plateauing" stage is coming due? Or would a change in my diet habits create another set of weight drops?

I guess I'll have to just keep an eye on my weight over time and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment