Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Changes to the Blog

You may have noticed some changes on the blog recently. I've decided to take my wife's advice and listen to one of the little voices in my head to create a more focused blog.

What does that mean?

It means a few things.

One, the Barry Atric blog is now going to focus on what the title says. Weight loss, diet, food, medicine, bariatric surgery and my personal updates on my progress from the surgery. Most of the entries that are not related to those items, directly or tangentally, have been removed.

Two, there are now four blogs. Click on my profile for links to the new ones, but now there is the Barry Atric blog,  New Author Chronicles detailing my attempt to become a published author, I Think Users Must Hate Me detailing my trials and tribulations dealing with technology in society and my job, and A Teaspoon of Skepticism and a Cup of Reason, a blog about...well... skepticism and reason.

Three, my schedule is changing. I used to try having at least one new blog post in the morning on my blog. I was proud that every day I had something in the feed ready for people if they wanted to follow my witty online banter. No more, I'm afraid. I still am trying to keep things updated, but there's no way I can keep a journal, work on a manuscript, work a day job and keep four blogs updated every day. Instead I'm posting things as they occur to me in the appropriate blog. That means that maybe the New Author Chronicles will fill three days in a row with material (maybe more now that NaNoWriMo is here!) while it may take a week to get something new in the Teaspoon blog. It's okay. I'll do my best to keep material going and not neglect the blogotubes.

If you're interested in all my topics, please do subscribe and link to each of the blogs! Please! If only one, feel free to link to and spread the word about that one blog. I'd appreciate it!

Four, I'm still working on cleaning up the blogs. The Barry Atric blog is getting stories flushed out that don't belong (most migrated to the other blogs) while simultaneously having the links on the side moved, and the other blogs are getting some additional of-interest blogs linked to them (for example, moving Phil Plait's Bad Astronomer blog to the Teaspoon blog rather than here). It's going to take time, but it's getting there.

What this all means is that I'm conducting an experiment on whether a focused blog will garner more attention on the webbertubes, maybe a little more love from from the Googlesphere. If you were just interested in medical/food/WLS information, you won't come here seeing my rants against organized religion, and vice-versa. If you liked my style, or what I had to say, or were at all interested in my opinions, you can still aggregate everything by subscribing to all the feeds and following in your favorite reader.

Hopefully I'll see some significant difference in using this format in the coming months!

1 comment:

  1. This will be a process that will solve itself. You will find out what works for you over the next few weeks, and it will probably change as you continue to lose weight and have more time for other things.
    You will be able to eliminate blogs that don't work in favor of the ones that do. And, you may end up combining two or more later.
    Sounds like a good plan.
    My life has recently gone through two major changes, and will change again in a few months, so I won't start any new projects, and may not get to my blog as much as I'd like.
    I'll stick to reading about the WLS for now. I have too much else to do.

    ReplyDelete