Thursday, August 20, 2009

Went To The Gym and: "How Accurate is Your Scale?"

(keep in mind this happened a few weeks ago...I queued this one up to log some thoughts and information for later on.)

I went to the gym today. I adjusted my workout a little...I think I mentioned I was going to do that...so that I was doing 10 reps at each machine instead of 15, but I increased the weight significantly. Most of them weren't as hard as I thought they'd be to do that. I don't know if it's because I've been going consistently and doing a "workout" or if I didn't know what I was capable of doing; it would be nice if there were some improvements that I could tell were directly from doing this workout regiment.

If you remember I mentioned that I found in general research that there was a theme of doing fewer reps but at a higher weight to give your muscles a workout to train for strength instead of stamina. So I decreased the reps and am working on finding a weight level that really wears on the muscles, so after those ten reps I feel that I can barely move anymore; the one machine that really stands out at that is the leg press (I did 10 reps at 340 pounds); I got up to go to the next machine and I felt as if I was walking on a cloud. Not because I felt great. It was because I couldn't feel my legs between my waist and knees. It was weird but nice to think I was having an effect on them.

I'm a little worried about my left knee...the joint hurts when I work with it, but I can walk just fine on it without pain. I try to be a little careful about that.

While at the gym I found an article laminated and taped to the scale. It was called, "How Accurate is Your Scale?", and said it was by "Cynthia Sass, RD" from the October 2006 Fitness Magazine. I Googled a little bit and the only version of it I could find online was found here. The article linked doesn't have the same title, but the text is almost word for word the same as the article I was reading at the gym.

It was really interesting. Short article, quick read. If you have to periodically face a scale in your exercise or diet routine, take a look at it...it reviews how much weight you gain from things like drinking some water, or how alcohol affects your weight. I'd repost it here except I don't have permission to do so...so check out the link and take a look. See what you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment